Sometime between 1898 and 1908 Alfaonso Pasquale opened the Roman Tavern and Restaraunt. In 1913 Augustine A. Martin and Elisee Henri Martin, both of France, acquired this building, and the business was named The Martin Hotel. In 1920, after a fire, the building was reconstructed to include twenty-five rooms and a restaurant.
During Prohibition, the hotel and restaurant downstairs prospered while a speakeasy thrived in what is now the attic. The story is told that when the Revenuers found the whiskey, they dumped it down Melarky street, and people turned out with cups to sample it as it flows.
The Martin Hotel continued as a hotel and restaurant after Augustine Martin passed. It was owned and managed by Basque families stretching into the 1970's including: Yrueta, Forgonnes, Bilboa, and Rosie Uriguen. Many of our recipes originated with Rosie, including our famous salad dressing, which we now manufacture and distribute.
Copyright © 2023 The Martin Hotel - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy